The origins of college rugby in the United States trace back to May 14th, 1874, when the first match was played between Harvard and McGill University. Over the ensuing years, the sport gradually gained popularity, with a significant uptick in growth in the late 1960s. Today, there are over 900 college rugby teams across the country.
College Rugby is governed by USA Rugby, the national governing body and is played by both men and women at universities across the country. Rugby has experienced rapid growth in recent years and is currently the second fastest-growing sport in the US, surpassed only by women's lacrosse.
In terms of organization, college rugby is divided into several divisions based on the level of competition and the size of the schools. The four main divisions are Division 1-A, Division 1-AA, Division 2, and Division 3.
To determine the national champion, an annual tournament called the USA Rugby College 15s National Championships is held at the end of each season.
It is important to note that while college rugby is growing, it is not yet an NCAA-sanctioned sport. Meaning that rugby teams do not receive the same level of funding and support as other NCAA varsity teams do.
If you are a passionate rugby player looking to take your career to the next level while also pursuing a world-class education, consider playing college rugby in the United States. There are numerous opportunities for international students to apply for rugby scholarships in the USA, and Aspire Atlantic is a leading company in helping student-athletes achieve this goal.
Colleges in the US offer university rugby scholarships to international students based on a combination of their academic and rugby abilities. Aspire Atlantic's college rugby program allows students to pursue their professional rugby dreams while also obtaining a high-quality education.
At Aspire Atlantic, our experienced team will guide you through the process of earning a rugby scholarship at a US university. We have a proven track record of helping athletes receive scholarships and compete at the collegiate level. If you're looking to combine your passion for rugby with a top-notch education, contact Aspire Atlantic to learn more about our college rugby scholarship opportunities.
Contact Us to find out about the variety of USA rugby scholarships we offer.
As college rugby is not an NCAA-sanctioned sport, the rules and regulations surrounding rugby scholarships differ from those of NCAA sports. Specifically, there are no restrictions on the number of rugby scholarships a college team can provide, and the distribution of funding is at the university's discretion and not limited by the NCAA.
Rugby scholarships are typically awarded by college coaches in consultation with the admissions office, based on a combination of the student's athletic ability, academic achievement, and financial need. In addition to rugby scholarships, players may be eligible for financial assistance through academic scholarships, depending on their grade point average (GPA) and standardized test scores such as the SAT and ACT.
It's worth noting that many universities and colleges offer financial aid to players through a multitude of ways. So, college rugby players should speak to an Aspire Atlantic scout as soon as possible to learn more.
Apply Now for a USA university rugby scholarship – we aim to make your dream a reality today.
USA rugby scholarships work similarly to other college sports, but there are a few differences due to rugby not being an NCAA sport.
1. Eligibility: College rugby scholarships are awarded to students based on their athletic and academic ability and financial needs. Some colleges may also consider factors such as leadership and community involvement.
2. Distribution: Rugby scholarships are awarded by the university's coaching staff, with the funding coming from their athletic department and private donations.
3. Amount: The amount of scholarship given varies depending on the university's budget and the player's skill level. Some will be full scholarships covering all costs, while others may only cover a portion of the student fees.
4. Restrictions: There are no restrictions on the number of scholarships that can be awarded by a college, unlike NCAA sports which are limited to a certain number of scholarships per team.
5. Renewals: Rugby Scholarships are awarded yearly, and their renewal is subject to the student's academic and athletic performance during the season and academic year.
Note: College rugby scholarships are less common than in NCAA sports, with some colleges not providing any rugby scholarships. However, there are other ways for rugby players to receive financial assistance, contact an Aspire Atlantic scout today to find out more.
Here are a few requirements that USA college rugby coaches consider when awarding scholarships:
1. Video footage: Coaches will either request to see footage of the applicant playing rugby, or they will ask you to come for a trial or attend a showcase. Therefore students need to collect game footage and produce a highlights reel.
2. Ability: College coaches will then evaluate your rugby talents, including your speed, strength, and technical abilities. They will also look at your playing experience and the level you competed, such as school, club, regional or national teams.
3. Academics: Coaches will review your academic reports and transcripts to determine your GPA. USA Rugby does not have academic eligibility restrictions like the NCAA; however, each university will have its requirements.
4. Financial need: Some coaches and admission officers may award rugby scholarships based on the student's financial capabilities to pay. They may require you to submit sensitive financial information to analyse your family's income, assets, and debts.
It's best to reach out to an Aspire Atlantic Scout to get a clear understanding of the specifics of rugby scholarships.
All you need to do to get started is to sign up with us today and complete the free online evaluation and see of you qualify to study and play sports in the USA – it’s that simple!
Aspire Atlantic is one of the world best USA rugby scholarship consultancies dedicated to bridging the gap between talent and opportunity for aspiring students.
Contact Us to start your stress-free and rewarding USA university sports scholarship process today.
Remember, it’s always the perfect time to begin your journey towards studying at the university of your dreams. Sign up here for a free consultation with one of our recruitment experts. You could join over 500 student-athletes already placed in the USA, competing at the highest level and earning a world-class degree!
There are many great USA colleges that offer rugby scholarships which is overseen by USA Rugby.
Speak to one of our expert recruiters today about what GPA (and other requirements) you need to qualify for a rugby scholarship in the USA.
If you are awarded a full scholarship, you won’t have to pay a thing. Get in touch with one of our recruitment experts today and join over 500 student-athletes placed in the USA already
Yes, they do! Speak to one of our expert recruiters today about what GPA (and other requirements) you need to qualify for a rugby scholarship in the USA.
Embarking on a fulfilling career in physiotherapy? This article highlights the journeys of becoming a physiotherapist in South Africa and the USA. In South Africa, it involves a four-year degree and a year of community service, while the USA requires a four-year undergraduate degree followed by a three-year Doctor of Physical Therapy programme. Specialisations and board certifications are available in the USA. Choose your path and make a positive impact on people's lives through movement.Read More